Re: PowerSchool Community Feedback and Suggestions- Test score alterations

beppolite
Journeyman

In my early experiences with Power School's Unified Classroom, I have noticed a major deficiency in our ability as instructors to make alterations to scoring for our assessments.  Test and quiz grades should not be etched in stone.  Teachers should have the ability to give partial credit for an answer (Multiple choice question) or have the option to give extra credit for a challenging question, so as to not penalize students for getting the question wrong.  Prior to this year I used Blackboard for 7 years and from the beginning there were easy options to give partial credit (any % we choose) or give credit for another answer that students could make an argument was also a valid answer.  There was a box we could click to simply make the question extra credit if we wanted to challenge our students.  We could make these decisions before and after students took the test.  This type of flexibility is crucial to give teachers the confidence to really challenge their students.  

Any Power School representative is welcome to contact me if you would like clarification on the types of options teachers would like and how to implement these changes.

Thank you for reading.

Brett Eppolite

3 Replies
Community Support Expert ElstonS
Community Support Expert

Hi @beppolite

Thank you for posting this feedback and suggestion on our PowerSchool Community!

When creating assessment items, you must select a scoring type, which requires that you choose whether to accept Exact, Partial match per response or Partial answer matches. 

Extra credits are called Extra Points in Unified Classroom. You can determine the extra points. Unified Classroom takes the total sum of Points Possible and Extra Points to determine the maximum points available on the assignment. When entering the score on the Scoresheet, you cannot enter a value greater than the maximum score that appears on the Assignments window in the Max Entry field.

I have attached two knowledge-based articles that should help explain the scoring types available through Unified Classroom: 

Scoring types-Partial match

Assignment Setup-Extra points (You can find the information under the header titled 'Extra Points')

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any further queries. 

Elston S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

TaraIrgens
Journeyman

I agree. In addition, not having the ability to edit a quiz question/answer without "making draft" and losing scores is idiotic. Teachers make mistakes, too. We need the ability to edit. I used Canvas before PSL, and those edits were allowed and so welcome. 

Community Support Expert ElstonS
Community Support Expert

Hey @TaraIrgens

Thank you for posting on our PowerSchool Community!

I understand you were looking to edit a quiz question/answer without making a draft and losing scores. I will submit a feature request on your behalf to the PowerSchool Unified Classroom Product Team and also share the emphasis on allowing the ability to edit a quiz/answer without having to make a draft and losing scores. 

Please feel free to reach out to us if you have any follow up questions.  

Elston S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!