Pointless Category Settings??

f352370
Practitioner

Pointless Category Settings??

I can choose which assignment categories belong to each class, which is great.  But when I make an assignment for, say, Algebra, I can still select the categories for a different class, like Geography.  In the previous version, if Algebra was selected, then only the assignment categories I chose for Algebra were options in the dropdown menu.  Since the "improvement," I now have all assignment categories available to me for Algebra, which, to anyone keeping track, is actually not an improvement.

Is there a way to restrict the types of categories to only the ones active in a particular class?

4 Replies
DanM3
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Yes there is. From the Unified Classroom Dashboard, click Grading - Categories. You will have to edit each category and tell it what classes apply to that specific category. I believe by default ALL CLASSES are pre-selected for each category.

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

f352370
Practitioner

Already done, and the problem persists.  See attached screenshots.

Note that "Class Work" is (has been) restricted to Social Studies but is still an option when I create an Algebra assignment.

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 7.34.55 AM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-29 at 7.35.14 AM.png

DanM3
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Definitely a glitch or product defect in the Unitied Classroom. The category preference is honored in setting up traditional grade calculations but not in the global assignment creator. It should be honored in both places.

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

jamiem7
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Thank you @f352370 for posting your issue in the PowerSchool Community!

@DanM3 , you are correct as you should not be seeing Algebra within the Social Studies selection.  In order to further troubleshoot, we will need to review your Unified Classroom site.  Would you please call into Unified Classroom Support to allow PowerSchool Support to further troubleshoot and assist in a resolution?  

You should be able to connect to Unified Classroom live chat support through thelp help site within Unified Classroom.

Jamie H.
Lead Community Moderator

Explore becoming a PowerSchool Mentor today!