Copying an Assignment

badgettd

Copying an Assignment

I need to copy many assignments from one class to another to avoid having to add an assignment four times. How do I duplicate or copy an assignment from one class to another? I have found several discussions on how to copy an assessment from one class/page to another but nothing on assignments. Almost every teacher that I know will use the same assignments across multiple classes so there has to be a way to do this.

I have looked everywhere that I know to look and even asked our experts but no one knows how to copy an assignment from one class to another.

8 Replies
Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Re: Copying an Assignment

Hi @badgettd,

You can find the instructions on how to copy assignments from one class to another in the following Online help guide:

https://docs.powerschool.com/UCHT/grading/assignments-activities/copy-assignments

This should get you going on copying the assignments without having to manually duplicate them. Please let me know if you have any other questions or need clarification on the steps.

Scott S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
nrichardson
Trainee

Can you please post a new link, the current one doesn't lead to anything.

Thanks

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

I apologize the link was not posted in full! 

The link that walks through the process of copying assignments is posted below.

https://docs.powerschool.com/UCHT/grading/powerteacher-pro-scoresheet/copy-assignments

Jamie H.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
RocioG1
Rookie

If you create an assignment for one class and duplicate it to another class, whatever changes you make to the assignment in either of the classes is made to the other class as well.  

IOW, it doesn't just make a copy that is free and independent for the class you copy it to, they are "tied" to each other. 

Say you copy one assignment in period 1 to 5 other classes, periods, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6. 

Then 6th period doesn't have time to do the assignment so you delete it from period 6.  

YOU NOW HAVE JUST DELETED IT FROM ALL THE OTHER PERIODS. 

Other versions last year, as well as PowerGrade, if you copied an assignment to other classes, it made a free and independent copy that you could make changes to, such as due date or points. 

This new copying protocol is not good.  I created an assignment and copied it to the wrong class.  When I went to that class and deleted it, it deleted it from ALL THE OTHER CLASSES that had a copy of it as well.  ALL THOSE SCORES FOR THE LEGIT CLASS WERE GONE!

Any fix for this? 

Community Support Expert SowmyaN
Community Support Expert

Hi @RocioG1,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with the PowerSchool Community!

Currently, there is not a feature that will recover a deleted assignment. In the future, if an assignment has been assigned to multiple classes that no longer needed then you can always remove an assignment from a class. To remove an assignment from a class, we need to select classes from dropdown from the assignment edit and uncheck the class.

Please feel free to reach us if you have any questions. We are happy to help!

Sowmya Karmel
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
RocioG1
Rookie

Hi @SowmyaN ,

Thanks for your reply. The problem is not on recoveing a deleted assignment. The issue is that when you copy an assignment you can't make changes to one assignment individually from the others once it's shared.

Example: 
  • create and assignment for periods 1 and copy it to period 2. 
  • Period 1 is a 7th grade class and Period 2 is a 6th grade class; there was a fire drill and assembly two days in a row and 6th graders are behind and having more difficulty. 
  • If you change Period 2 due date and point value or percentage weighing to compensate for the variables, it makes those changes to Period 1 too. 
  • It will even change the categories: Let's say you share an assignment with another classes(es). If you try and change that assignment for another class into Extra Credit, it changes all of them that it's share with into Extra Credit category.  If you don't have an extra credit category set up for that class, it won't count it at all for the final grade. 

After doing all that, you might as well just type in a new assignment for all 6 of your classes one at a time, which is what copying the assignment was supposed to save you from doing.

Is there any other way around that? or should the teacher just create a new assignment for every class?

kjharris71
Recruit

I would echo the same concern. I can't individually curve or adjust a test that is in all of my sections. My sections are very diverse and need to be graded differently. I went through and adjusted each section only to go back and see that each time I adjusted each class it effected every other section.

My current solution choices are 1. Add each assignment for each class separately or 2. Make 6 copies of the same assignemnt and then go back to each one and remove all the other sections from them.

Community Support Expert SowmyaN
Community Support Expert

Hi

@RocioG1 Thank you for reaching out for assistance with PowerSchool Community!

@kjharris71 Thank you for posting in the Community!

Would you confirm the assignment that is associated with the 6th-grade classes is not showing the 7th-grade class sections?  When copying the assignment you should be able to select the sections in which the assignment should be assigned. 

To save time, duplicate existing assignments. You can also copy existing assignments to different classes using the Copy Assignments feature.

1. Click the Edit icon next to the assignment name on the Assignments page.
  2. Click Duplicate. The Assignment Name is automatically highlighted and is appended with a number.
  3. Edit the details of the assignment and click Save. You can immediately begin scoring the new assignment by selecting Score Assignment at the top of the screen.

If you are creating a Unified Classroom assignment, you should be able to select 'Save and Duplicate' in the bottom right of the page to the left of the 'Save and Close' option.  When selecting 'Save and Duplicate', the assignment should duplicate to a separate assignment allowing you to choose the sections in which the assignment should be attached.

Sowmya Karmel