Assessing Standards to calculate assignment mark

tkennedy1981
Journeyman

Assessing Standards to calculate assignment mark

Hello,

Our school division is currently transitioning to PowerSchool.

I had a teacher ask whether it's possible to do the following:

1.  Create an assignment and attach standards.

2.  Assign a mark to these standards.

3.  Then have PowerTeacherPro auto-calculate an overall grade for that assignment based on the marks given to the standards attached to that assignment.

Hopefully my question is clear.

Thank you for any help.

4 Replies
RichardB16
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Yes, this is all possible; however, for it to be done right there is a lot of prep work. Jumping into this mid-year would be hard on everyone. Here are a few thoughts - 

• Get a consensus on your standards, whether based on Common Core, state or local. 
  • Are you doing this for just the elementary level, secondary or possibly the whole district?
  • Be consistent with your naming, descriptions, identifiers - what is your hierarchy?
  • Courses are attached to standards at the district level.
  • Teachers can then attach standards to assignments and assessments - and there are many options of how and where to do things at this point too (Schoology, Performance Matters, etc.).
  • Think long term also - what does this mean for a report card, transcripts, extra-curricular eligibility, etc.
  • Grading - you can create grade scales and conversions based on standards grading, or if you still need a "letter" grade you can leave the conversion to your teachers who can switch grade scales and determine this themselves. There are many options here.

This is a project and takes a lot of work to be done right!

Good luck!

Richard Bernadella
PowerSchool Manager
Marysville Exempted Village Schools
Marysville, OH

tkennedy1981
Journeyman

Thank you for your reply Richard,

Are you able to walk me through the exact steps to have standards grade calculate an overall assignment mark?  I can't seem to figure it out myself.

Thank you.

RichardB16
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

I hate to say this, but by your other questions on the forum, you have already jumped into Standards completely. I would love to help but am quite busy with my own projects. I recommend reading the following - https://docs.powerschool.com/PSHSA/21.4/grading/grading-setup/standards#id-.Standardsv21.4-ManageNex... - and if that confuses you, put a call into your customer success manager for some direction and assistance.

Richard Bernadella
PowerSchool Manager
Marysville Exempted Village Schools
Marysville, OH

nlake
Hobbyist

My wonder is...if you are using standards/outcomes based reporting, why would you want to have the outcomes calculate an overall assignment grade?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of standards/outcomes-based reporting?  By reporting a singular grade, many parents won't look at the standards/outcomes that informed that grade in the first place.  Just a wonder...