An Overlay for Submitted Docs

BELG97
Hobbyist

An Overlay for Submitted Docs

One of the things I liked about Canvas is that students did not have to share their Google Doc with me directly.  With 160 students, that fills up an email mailbox with undecessary notifications. Canvas had an overlay that allowed teachers to make comments and corrections.  Additionally, it forced students to look at the comments, marks, and feedback and make the corrrections manually on their Doc, instead of just accepting the suggetions.  I would like to see this kind of thing with Unified Classroom electronic submissions so that my mailbox does not get overloaded, and so that students have to manually make editing changed and revisions through thought and understanding the marks.

5 Replies
Community Support Expert AbrittyB
Community Support Expert

Re: An Overlay for Submitted Docs

Hi!! @BELG97, thank you so much for participating in PowerSchool Community !!  

In Unified Classroom, there is a feature named Add an Assignment under Teacher Help section where Google Drive files and Microsoft files can be added to an assignment as a Handout.

Submit Student Online Work is enabled by default after choosing to add a file as a Handout. Submit Student Online Work allows students to submit any aspect of the assignment electronically, such as photos, a worksheet, or other artifacts associated with the assignment.

I am providing the link that will help you go through the process of attaching a Google Doc in assignments. Please click on the link below:

Add an Assignment

Also, I'm providing a link below that will help you get a better view of the Assignment Workflow. 

Assignment Workflow

Please feel free to let us know if there is any other concern.

BELG97
Hobbyist

This does not, in any way, answer my question.

Community Support Expert AbrittyB
Community Support Expert

Hello @BELG97, thank you for your post on PowerSchool Community!

I apologize for being unable to respond correctly to your concern.

Currently, Unified Classroom does not have the feature of disabling the assignment notifications when a student turns in an assignment build into it. I have submitted a feature request to the PowerSchool Unified Classroom Product Team on your behalf, to add a tool that will help customize the notification option and also to ease the workflow of adding suggestions on a student's assignment.

When with Submit Online work the student turns in a document for submission, if the file is a Google doc or Microsoft document the Teacher can make comments or corrections on the document and then give back the submission to the student.

Hope this helps!

Please let us know if there is any other concern.

econleyshannon
Practitioner

I agree.  We need to be able to use an overlay to annotate directly on the google doc.  I don't ant to comment directly in the document, I want to mark up the assignment.

Community Support Expert Reshma
Community Support Expert

@econleyshannon 

Thank you for reaching out and posting your suggestion in the PowerSchool Community!!

This feature request has already been sent to the PowerSchool Unified Classroom Product Team by other users previously, to add a tool that will help customize the notification option and also help you to mark up the student's assignment. We would be happy to highlight this feature request.

We are glad that, your suggestions help to improve PowerSchool for all users!!

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!