students unable to submit assignments in updated Unified Classroom

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

students unable to submit assignments in updated Unified Classroom

Is anyone else having issues with students being unable to submit their assignments in the updated Unified Classroom? Teachers are really excited to have students submit their work, give feedback, and then return to the student for improved performance. But when students go to submit, the button is grayed out and they cannot do so. The teacher can still grade, but they cannot complete the steps of submitting and returning. Is this happening elsewhere?

10 Replies
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Re: students unable to submit assignments in updated Unified Classroom

Thank you for your post in the PowerSchool Community!

Will you please provide rather the students are attempting to submit their assignment within Class Pages or within the student's Unified Classroom dashboard?

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
rcummings
Journeyman

Hi,

Our students are unable to submit assignments shared using Google Docs within Unified Classroom. The assignment was set to share as a Handout. However, if the same document is uploaded from My Computer and shared as a handout, the students have no issues uploading the document. 

Thanks.

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Make sure the "can submit online" is checked for that specific assignment. I found when copying assignments over from a previous year, it gets unchecked.

coryausten
Journeyman

Yes, we are experiencing many issues with students handing work in. A major issue for our students and teachers is students cannot hand-in via Google Docs. We checked the 'hand-in online' checkbox is selected and made sure students are owners of the documents. Really can't seem to figure out why this is happening. Like you, our teachers are excited to make the features work for them. Thanks!

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

If the teacher creates the original Google Doc file template and uploads it as a handout, the students can then type their responses directly in that file and submit it. I haven't tried yet a student creating a file and submitting it that way. (EDIT:) I just tried creating a new file on the student side and there does seem to be a rights issue with student initiated files. I would recommend having the teacher initiate it (even if it's a blank file) and sharing it as a handout via the UC Assignment creator.

coryausten
Journeyman

Thanks for the workaround. Some teachers have been having students download as PDF and submit that. This works fine but seems to defeat the purpose of being able to attach via Google. Hopefully this can get worked out soon!

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for participating in the PowerSchool Community!

@DanM3 Shared a great workaround!  Thank you for sharing the workaround, Dan!

We have received reports of issues submitting work via Google.  We're working hard to investigate this issue and get a resolution in place as quickly as possible.

Would you mind sharing if the courses that are experiencing difficulties having students submit their work via Google has co-teachers assigned or are you seeing the issue in courses that do not have co-teachers assigned to the course?

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
coryausten
Journeyman

Hi @jamiem7, thanks for jumping into the conversation! Do you mean co-teachers on the Power School (SIS)/Unified Classroom end or do you mean on the Power Learning end? I'm assuming Power School/UC since the issue is within UC assignments. If so, almost none of our classes have co-teachers assigned.  

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@jamiem7 We don't have co-teachers. The issue is with individual students submitting a Google Doc via the Unified Classroom. It is my understanding that the link between the Unified Classroom and Google for Education is suppose to handle the sharing permission in the background. It works when the teacher initiates the actually doc, but does not work when the student creates their own document and submits it.