Why do you have to reset your password EVERY time you login?

normb4
Padawan

Why do you have to reset your password EVERY time you login?

29 Replies
bga
Padawan

@normb4 ah, yes, I fully expect most of special chars to be an issue. @ is just a pretty common one I guess. If you stick to numbers and letters you should be ok.

jbidk
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks, @bga,

@normb4 To make sure I am following up on the right issue. Are you able to select a password without any special characters and does that help?

JbidK
Director, Support Community
ReginaS6
Journeyman

Our password requirements are set to include a special character - a decision made by upper level administration....we had to include a special character in the passwords and once we stopped using the @ sign as one of them, our issues resolved with log ins.

dhipkins
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Not sure if it's entirely related, but we have a password change issue as well. We have seen that when a password reset is requested, the user then changes it following the PowerSchool dialogs. Then after changing it and trying to use the new password, the login fails. It requires multiple resets to get it to work. Eventually it does, but it's very frustrating to have to reset the same password repeatedly. I have tried this with a guest/incognito window and it seems to not have that problem, so I'm thinking maybe a cookie or something like that. But asking users to use workarounds (incognito windows, clearing browser cache, etc.) for something as elementary as a password reset is not an efficient way of doing things. Anyone else experiencing this?

DK Hipkins, Ed.S.
Director of Educational Technology
Korea International School Jeju
JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @dhipkins 

We are sorry if you are facing difficulties with logging into your account. We usually recommend clearing the cache and cookies because a previously saved password may pull instead of the new password you created and give an invalid password error. Clearing the cache or even changing the browser prevents that.

Sometimes the PowerSchool pages might be heavily customized which causes login issues even if the password reset is successful. Turning off those customizations may also help you log in. Also, when using the mobile apps the desktop version does not open by default.

If you continue to face this issue, I recommend you reach out to PowerSchool Support through a case and have them check the system setup for further investigation.

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

normb4
Padawan

The cache is not the issue. It would appear to be a DB requirement/limit on PowerSchool side and what characters are allowed in the password. Spaces and many special characters that are allowed when you reset your password seem to cause an issue and then when you try to login with a password that has it in them the password isn't recognized.  Since I simplified my passwords, removed spaces, and only used typical special characters (ie # &) i have not had the issue any longer

I would recommend updating the passwords requirements/limits and assuring when new passwords are met it matches what the DB is able to store. 

JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @normb4 

Thank you for this suggestion. Currently, PowerSchool refers to this Password-rules-management to create passwords. 

However, you can share this idea as an Enhancement Request on  PowerSchool Ideas Portal so that the product team can take a look at this. This article should walk you through how to raise an Enhancement Request.

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator

If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

normb4
Padawan

I think you mean   Confiruge Password Rules

But what I'm trying to explain is that though the documentation says "require a user’s password contain at least 1 uppercase letter, 1 lowercase letter, 1 special character, and 1 numeric character, select the applicable checkboxes:"   maybe partly correct but the DB does not seem to store all special characters or spaces in a password -  If the users change their password to one of the characters, not stores or have a space in the password, the site allows the 'change'  but the next time you try to log in with a password that has a space or non-stored password you get an error that the password isn't recognized. 

JyotishkaB
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

@normb4 Thank you for sharing this information.

If clearing cache cookies, worked then it could have been an issue with the browser settings. However, since you mention resetting the password multiple times, the PowerSchool Support would want to look into this and check for a permanent fix, so we recommend working with the Support team through a case.

Jyotishka B.
Community Moderator