Why do you have to reset your password EVERY time you login?

Highlighted
normb4
Trainee

Why do you have to reset your password EVERY time you login?

8 Replies
normb4
Trainee

Re: Why do you have to reset your password EVERY time you login?

Our school has used PS for several years, but late last year it an issue began that no one seems to be able to answer.  Every time I go to log in via my laptop I have to reset the password, but I don't when I log in via my cell phone.  I know the password, I even use a password manager so I KNOW I'm using the correct 'new' password each time --- and yet each week (or more) when I try to login via my laptop I have to reset the password - I get in ONCe and then the next time have to reset the password again. 

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

On the laptop, what happens if you turn your password manager off and tell your browser NOT to store your password?

-----------
Note: I am not a PowerSchool employee
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for reaching out in the PowerSchool Community!

I am not aware of reports that users must log in each time they access a PowerSchool product.  To allow us to further assist with your account, would you please provide further information?

• Are you attempting to access the parent portal for PowerSchool?
    • If so, are you able to access the PowerSchool Mobile app without resetting your password with each access attempt?
    • If you are not using the parent portal, would you please provide which PowerSchool product or site you are attempting to access without having to reset your password each time?
  • What browser are you using when you are prompted to reset your password with each access attempt?
  • Are you able to access the site using the last password you created on a different browser such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari on your laptop?
  • Are you able to access the site using the last password you created on a different device in the same browser?

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
normb4
Trainee

• Are you attempting to access the parent portal for PowerSchool? Yes, http://ps.tmp-m.org/public/home.html
    • If so, are you able to access the PowerSchool Mobile app without resetting your password with each access attempt? Yes, i can log into the mobil without issue
    • If you are not using the parent portal, would you please provide which PowerSchool product or site you are attempting to access without having to reset your password each time? I am using the parent portal, http://ps.tmp-m.org/public/home.html
  • What browser are you using when you are prompted to reset your password with each access attempt? I mainly use Chrome, but i have tried edge and firefox too in ts the issue
  • Are you able to access the site using the last password you created on a different browser such as Chrome, Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari on your laptop? I can once, and then the next time i have logged out and try to log back in it have to reset it
  • Are you able to access the site using the last password you created on a different device in the same browser?  I can use the new password on my mobile repeatedly and have no issue, it's just when go back to a PC/browser

Side note: the only other unusual thing is I do use Dashlane for password manager - and I have stored the new passwords, and even have tried just typing the new ones in and still have the same issue. 

Community Moderator

Thank you for providing this information!

I am currently working with the PowerSchool Mobile Team to look into any suggestions for a resolution.  I will update this thread once we are able to find suggestions that will help resolve the issue!

Thank you for your patience as we look into this report further!

Jamie H.
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Community Moderator

Thank you for your patience as we continue to look into the requirement of resetting your password with each session in the parent portal! @normb4 

Would you please share the results of the login sessions when turning off your password management that @JeromeO suggested?

Jamie H.
normb4
Trainee

I can change the password manually (as in I type and pick the password, not dashlane)
and then use the newly set password typed in (not using dashlane) 

that new password will work the 1st/new time, but once I log out after that first login, I can not log back in with it - 

Community Moderator

Thank you for providing this information and working through troubleshooting steps within the thread!

The parent portal credentials are also used to access the PowerSchool mobile app for parents.  Since you are not experiencing difficulties with the mobile app for parents and we have not received reports from other parents experiencing a similar issue, I recommend reaching out to your child's school district to look into the set up of your account.  The school can also reach out to PowerSchool Support if further assistance is needed.

Jamie H.