Are you obsessed with constantly learning?

rohit52

Are you obsessed with constantly learning?

As an experienced developer, I find myself constantly learning, often times to the degree of obsession. You would think that after 7 years in the industry that I would be getting better and not have to constantly learn, but it has the opposite effect. The better I get, the more I realize that I don't know, and I have am always on the path of catching up. For example, I can spend the entire month of January on brushing up on CSS, then February would be nuxt.js and vue. Then, I realize that I need to brush up on my ability to design RESTful Apis, so I spend the entire month of March on that. In terms of mastery, I feel like I am getting better, I have learnt so many things since the beginning of the year. If I didn't spend the time on learning these topics, it will always be on the back of my mind that I lack knowledge in these areas. I am not claiming myself as a master of these topics, so I may need to revisit them in a few months (to brush up and learn more). Some of these topics are related to my tasks at my work, but a lot of them are driven by my own personal curiosity (and may indirectly aid me in my work in the future). I have a backlog of things to learn, for example, CloufFormation, Redis, CQRS, Gridsome, GraphQL, and the list keeps on growing.

Anyways, back to my question. Have you ever felt the same way about learning topics that you curious about, almost to the point of obsession? Do you think that it is good or bad?

2 Replies
JeromeO
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

The term you're looking for is "lifelong learner."  It doesn't matter how long you've been doing this already. It matters that you're seeking and exploring what else is out there 🙂

Any field or topic can have the same depths that you're experiencing in DevOps. I've been in IT for over 20 years, and I continue to learn and discover new things regularly.

I've been a runner for many years, and even after completing a full marathon, there were still things to learn (different techniques, training methods & routines, diet tweaks, incorporating weight lifting, etc.).

I've played music for the majority of my life (I'm close to 50 years old, to provide some perspective). There's too much to list about what I've learned and what I still haven't learned.

You're not going to find anyone who'll answer that this is a bad thing 🙂  At least, not in a forum & community dedicated to educators (whether we're teachers or not; I'm an IT guy who happens to work in education and what I do helps make learning possible indirectly).

-----------
Troy School District, Troy, MI, USA
District Size: 12,000+
Server Config: On-prem/Self-hosted 3 app+1 db+2 test

Need to ask me a question or get my attention? Tag me with @JeromeO in your post and I'll be notified!

I am not a PowerSchool employee

JeromeO
PowerSchool Mentor
PowerSchool Mentor

To tag along with my experience as a musician, I've recently begun building instruments.  Which means I've had to shift gears and learn woodworking.  Tools, techniques, but also the various wood species and their characteristics.

And in woods, I've learned that it's not just about tree "biology" but the ecology of trees (why some species of ash are getting more rare).  How each species varies in appearance, since building guitars also involves visual aesthetics, as well as tonal qualities of the wood -- brightness versus warmth or tones in between.

I've learned the differences between dados and grooves, bevels versus chamfer.  Terms I either didn't know or used incorrectly as recently as a year ago.

The only thing that would make this insatiable curiosity difficult to handle is the constant jumping from topic to topic, losing focus, and getting distracted.  I can't count how many times I've started and stopped studying Angular and Python, only to get distracted by something else and forgetting to pick them up again.

-----------
Troy School District, Troy, MI, USA
District Size: 12,000+
Server Config: On-prem/Self-hosted 3 app+1 db+2 test

Need to ask me a question or get my attention? Tag me with @JeromeO in your post and I'll be notified!

I am not a PowerSchool employee