Q: How do I add parents to my PowerSchool Learning domain?
A: Below are listed a few different ways you can go about adding parents to your PowerSchool Learning Domain. Before you get started, it may be helpful to ensure that parents have been turned on for your classes, too!
Allow Parents to See Classes
You can set the Default status for newly-created classes at a domain-wide level to allow parents in roster through the Settings area of the Manage Domain menu. Navigate to the Classes tab of this menu, then check the Default Class Visibility Settings option of "Allow Parents in Rosters".*
*Please note: Adjusting this setting will not retroactively adjust classes that have already been created. This setting will only effect classes created after the change.
Method 1: Via Import
- Add parents along with the other users contained in your users.csv file, marked with the role of "P." For more information on our CSV import files, check out the specification file for the import type you are using:
- To associate Parents with their Students, include a parent_child.csv (or update_parent_child.csv if using Partial Imports) file with your Import
- Supply Parents with a username and password upon import, unless Parents have Google Apps accounts and will be using Google Apps Authentication,
- Google Apps Schools: If Parents will be using Google Apps Authentication, include their Google Apps ID (email address) in the field google_id of your users.csv (or update_users.csv if using Partial Imports) file.
- If you're using PowerSchool SIS v10.1+, you can automatically import Parent accounts through the PowerSchool SIS integration.
Method 2: Parent Invitations
- Export Parent Invitations through the Manage Domain > Parent Invitations menu, and follow the instructions found in How do I create invitations for all the parents at my Organization? to distribute codes and invitation links to Parents.
- The Parent Invitation file exports in CSV format and includes a URL and a unique Access Code for each Student. To accept the invitation, Parents can follow the steps found in How do I accept a class invitation as a parent?
- Parents follow the link, enter the code, and register for a new account that is automatically associated with their Student.
- Google Apps Schools: Parents added via Parent Invitation will not be associated with a Google Apps account. If you need them to be associated with a Google Apps account, their authentication can be changed through the domain control Manage > Edit menu individually by selecting Change next to the current Authentication Method, selecting "Google Apps SSO," and adding in a Google Username (email address).
Method 3: Manually
- Add Parent accounts manually through the Domain Control Add Account button.
- To associate a Parent account with a Student account, find the parent through the Domain Control Account listing and select their name. From this User Info screen, select Edit next to Parent Child Relation to add each student.
- Google Apps Schools: Parents added manually will not be associated with a Google Apps account. Their authentication can be changed through the domain control Manage > Edit menu individually by selecting Change next to the current Authentication Method, selecting Google Apps SSO, and adding in a Google Username (email address).
Method 4: Let Teachers add Parents via Parent Invitations in the Roster
- Teachers can print a unique Invitation for any or all students currently enrolled in a class through the Roster area. To do this, they will want to find the student in the Roster, then select Manage > Print Invitation, to to select the student's name then the Parent Invite dropdown menu. From there you can either Print Invitation as a pdf file, or Send email invitation. For detailed instructions, check out the Adding Parents area of our Adding users to your roster article.
- In order to allow Teachers to invite Parents to register for accounts independently, you must turn on the setting to allow external PowerSchool Learning users to be added to your domain. This setting can be found by going to Manage Domain > Settings > Users and check the box that reads "Allow teachers to invite anyone to register as students/parents." If this setting is not turned on, Parents (anyone, actually!) will not be able to create new accounts in PowerSchool Learning on their own.
- Google Apps Schools: Parents added through class Parent Invitations will not be associated with a Google Apps account. Their authentication can be changed through the domain control Manage > Edit menu individually by selecting Change next to the current Authentication Method, selecting Google Apps SSO, and adding in a Google Username (email address).