what is the roadmap for PSL now that powerschool is buying Schoology?

Highlighted
Hobbyist

Re: what is the roadmap for PSL now that powerschool is buying Schoology?

Alright guys! Here is the final answer. Took some digging, but finally got it confirmed from a person named Julie that is part of the "migration team". I am more than happy to forward the email to anyone.

Schoology is basically a replacemet for Unified Classroom. Not an integration. PowerSchool will still have and include Unified Classroom/Learning Pages, but they WILL NOT work on any more improvements. The upgrade is "free" for the first year, meaning you do not have to pay extra. But after that, you do need to pay for Schoology. For our school, it is actually about the same price-range. We are going to look into it for the 2021-2022 school year (after they work out the kinks, hopefully).

My opinion: It was easier and cheaper to buy schoology, than fix all the problems they were facing with UC and class pages.

Frustrating news, knowing our students, staff, and families will have to learn an entire new LMS after killing ourselves last year to get everyone set up and familiar. But it is what it is.

Highlighted
Professional

Thanks for that info.  The less powerschool does with Schoology (integrating with UC) the better.

All the kinks are in Unified Classroom.  We rushed through the Schoology PowerSchool SIS integration in the winter.  Best thing we ever did. Our district is about 7k students K12.  Although there was frustration learning a new LMS the ease of use with Schoology was welcomed by our staff and the integration to the PTP gradebook was much better then anything we did with class pages.  Schoology was so easy to use and many teachers used it during our remote learning.  Pulling courses out of Learning is a pain but its easier (other then assessments to just recreate)  

Highlighted
Trainee

@jhanlon Thanks for all your messages here -- all my experiences at two different UC schools echo precisely your experiences, unfortunately. A truly strange situation, if you ask me. Anyway, I was wondering if you could elaborate on your experience of jumping into Schoology without waiting for "integration". What steps did you take (broadly)? Did you get support from PS on this transition? Any details you have to share would be appreciated.

Highlighted
Hobbyist

@jhanlon Can you talk a little more about the integration of Schoology and PTP? Is standards-based grading (SBGRdata pushed from Schoology rubrics to PTP? Or is this only for traditional, points-based assessments? I can't seem to find any info on any LMS that can push SBGR data into PTP.

Clint

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @chamada,

If your school is using the PowerSchool provisioning app to provision users, courses, and enrollments into Schoology, you can use the PowerSchool grade passback app in your Schoology courses to sync grades to your PowerTeacher Gradebook.

Here is the documentation on the PowerSchool provisioning app for more details: PowerSchool provisioning app 

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Highlighted
Hobbyist

Thanks Reshma! I appreciate the link; I hadn't read that before. 

Based on that, it is safe to say that the Schoology to PTP Grade Pass Back does not include learning objective data from the Schoology standards based grade book:

If a graded item or grade has not yet appeared in the PowerSchool Gradebook, you can navigate to this area of the app and click on the Sync icon or on Sync Changes to manually re-send the information to PowerSchool. The following information will be sent to PowerSchool:

• The name of the graded item.
  • The max number of points for the graded item.
  • The due date for the graded item.
  • The grading category established by the System Admin, or by the teacher in the Configuration area of the app.
  • The raw score a student received on the graded item.
Highlighted
Hobbyist

Coming to this late...

We looked at UC 18 months back, prior to the purchase of Schoology. Now trying to get an idea of where they are headed. Any chance you are still able to share a copy of that email?

Cheers,

Clint