Two teachers one dropbox..not awesome

Highlighted
telaunit
Hobbyist

Two teachers one dropbox..not awesome

So I'm the admin for our domain, but have a suggestion/question for the community.

I've got two teachers using the same class, but run different sections within that class. The problem they are encountering is as follows:

When an assignment is turned in to one section, they get notified that they have uncorrected assignments. It's not section specific so one teacher needs to go in and look through each assignment, as the notification is also not specific. 

SO, is there a way to make notifications specific to which assignment/assessment has a new item turned in, and is there a way to assign a section of announcements to one teacher specific. The way it's set up now is very time consuming for both staff members.

I haven't discovered a way to make it such, but might just be missing something. If it's not possible, can we send this up the ladder to the devs and see if it's something we could get coded in ASAP? Thanks so much.

4 Replies
Community Moderator joshk
Community Moderator

Re: Two teachers one dropbox..not awesome

Good afternoon @telaunit!

Thank you for your question! We will be happy to investigate what possibilities exist with regard to notification settings and post an update once we have done so. In the meantime, I would like to also open up this question to other users as well. For anyone who has experienced a similar instance, we would love to hear your feedback on this thread!

Best,

JoshK 

PowerSchool Community Moderator

Community Moderator angelal
Community Moderator

Hi @telaunit

I'll go ahead and weigh in here and see if others have thoughts to add as well. You are correct in describing the current notification behavior. I'm happy to share some options available to you. If none of these are a good fit, please let me know, and I would be happy to share your feedback with our team. 

Though notifications are not section-specific, your co-teachers can filter by section to see Assignments, Assessments, Announcements, and even class page content. The selected section will stay as selected, so a co-teacher can navigate the class and look at all the content for that section.

Sections.png

You mentioned Announcements, with this feature, your co-teachers can create and view section specific Announcements. Again, once created for a specific section, the section filter will apply to those announcements as well.

Announcements.png

The options I shared will help with viewing section-specific items inside the class. If co-teachers do want to receive separate notifications, the best way to accomplish this is to have separate classes instead of one shared class with assigned sections. Teachers can still view each other's content through permissions such as shadowing if that's something you would like to explore. 

Again, these are a couple of suggestions. Our Community might have more to share and are welcome to weigh in as well.

Best,

Angela L.

telaunit
Hobbyist

Those options make sense, but again, they want it to work specifically as mentioned. Those are good ideas on a work around, but having the ability for co-teachers to specify which notifications from which section would be ideal.

Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Hi @telaunit!

Thank you for the clarification on your question. I have submitted an enhancement request through our internal request system that asks for more detailed alerts that provide section-level and even assignment-level detail, especially for large classes, and for the ability for co-teachers to determine which sections they'd like to see alerts for.

Scott S.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!