Power Teacher Access to Attachments to Student

Highlighted
Gerald1989
Padawan

Power Teacher Access to Attachments to Student

Hi, I am a new member. Our district has been using Power School for years. We have been using hyperlinks to Google Drive Folders in the Other Alert to give teachers access to digital copies of IEPs. However, no matter what we do Google overshares in its activity feed. So, we would like to upload the current IEP in the Attachments. 1) How can we give the teachers access to the Attachments screen and 2) Since we don't want the teachers to have access to all attachments, I see where in Power School as an administrator, the attachments available to a person can be limited by roles. I can't find where either in Power School as an admin or in Power Teacher where the roles or groups can be limited for attachments. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Re: Power Teacher Access to Attachments to Student

Hi @Gerald1989!

Welcome to the PowerSchool Community, and thank you for posting your question about access to student document attachments for teachers in your PowerSchool SIS!

Currently, accessing student documents in PowerSchool SIS is an administrator function. In order for teachers to get access to document attachments, they will need an administrator account. As far as access to files, there is a way to disable access to document attachments for specific users, but not specific files. Also, administrator users within a school, that have access to students pages, do have access to any student's information within that school, which is something to consider as you think about giving this access.

Based on your questions, it doesn't sound like either of those situations would be ideal for you. However, our PowerSchool Special Education product can provide you with these features. With PowerSchool Special Education, you are able to allow teachers to view attachments in your PowerSchool SIS Teacher Portal, control which attachment types individual teachers have access to, and prevent teachers from accessing attachments for students that they aren't assigned.

If PowerSchool Special Education sounds like something you would like to learn more about, I would be happy to connect you with the appropriate representative, who can give you more detailed information.

Also, we do have some administrator forums in PowerSource here. If you or your other administrators have access to PowerSource, it may be worth posting this question there as well. That way you can touch base with other administrators to learn about their current practices.

Scott S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
3 Replies
Community Moderator

Hi @Gerald1989!

Welcome to the PowerSchool Community, and thank you for posting your question about access to student document attachments for teachers in your PowerSchool SIS!

Currently, accessing student documents in PowerSchool SIS is an administrator function. In order for teachers to get access to document attachments, they will need an administrator account. As far as access to files, there is a way to disable access to document attachments for specific users, but not specific files. Also, administrator users within a school, that have access to students pages, do have access to any student's information within that school, which is something to consider as you think about giving this access.

Based on your questions, it doesn't sound like either of those situations would be ideal for you. However, our PowerSchool Special Education product can provide you with these features. With PowerSchool Special Education, you are able to allow teachers to view attachments in your PowerSchool SIS Teacher Portal, control which attachment types individual teachers have access to, and prevent teachers from accessing attachments for students that they aren't assigned.

If PowerSchool Special Education sounds like something you would like to learn more about, I would be happy to connect you with the appropriate representative, who can give you more detailed information.

Also, we do have some administrator forums in PowerSource here. If you or your other administrators have access to PowerSource, it may be worth posting this question there as well. That way you can touch base with other administrators to learn about their current practices.

Scott S.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Gerald1989
Padawan

Thanks so much for the information. Please help me find out more about the special education module. It sounds as if that may be the solution I am looking for. 

Community Moderator

@Gerald1989

It's my pleasure to assist you. Since you are interested in PowerSchool Special Education and we may need to potentially discuss sensitive information, I will follow up with you via our private message system.

Scott S.