New Students status

Highlighted
Journeyman

New Students status

We use a scheduled Data export to provide some information about currently active students. The scheduled export takes place daily at 12:00am.  

I have noticed that when a new student is put in Power school the day prior and their "start date" is set for the next day, even though the Export runs at 12:00 am EST, the new student does not show up on the csv file that gets exported.

If I manually run that export when I get to work at 7:30 am, the student is in the csv file.

For example, Jane Doe is put in Powerschool on Monday, and her start day is set for the following day (Tuesday).  At 12:00am (technically Tuesday now) the Export runs and the csv file is sent. However, Jane Doe is not in the csv file.  At 7:30 am on tuesday when I come to work and manually run the Export, Jane Doe is now in the csv file.

So my question is, what is the "magic" time that this export should run in order to include any new students who are scheduled to start that day?

Is it as simple as making the Export run at 12:01 am or perhaps 3 or 4 am?

Thanks in advance!

(Hopefully this is the right place to post this question!?)

3 Replies
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Re: New Students status

Hey @ParatrooperJoe!

The issue of students not showing on the exported file might happen due to a couple of reasons.

1. The student is not flagged for export in the Student Information System. The process to flag the student for export depends on the domain of the Student Information System used.
  2. The student is not active in the Student Information System. When a students data is stored in the Student Information System on a particular day(Monday), it gets active during the time period of 12:00 am to 2:00 am of the next day(Tuesday). Since in this case, the scheduled data export is set to occur at 12:00 am daily, it might overlook the student data as inactive. I recommend resetting the scheduled data export to any time after 2:00 am and preferably after 3:00 am for the best effect.

Hope this helps!

AbrittyB
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Please give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks so much for the reply!

The timing on when exactly PS decides to flip them from active or not is the questionable part for me, so scheduling it for 3 am sounds like a good option. Not sure when we will have a new student for me to observe whether this works or not, but I will try to report back here whether this works or not.

Thanks again for the advice.

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

@ParatrooperJoe

It is my pleasure that I have been able to assist you. Please do let us know about the result of the changes made. Have a great day!

AbrittyB
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Please give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!