Making assignments due in the future unavailable to students.

gylepat
Achiever

Making assignments due in the future unavailable to students.

I know the issue listed below is not new news but teachers in my school are getting very frusterated with this.  Many teachers like to plan ahead and get content ready to go and then release it to students as needed. It is currently impossible to hide something with a due date from a student.  However, I had an idea today. We now have Unified Classroom. Due dates from PS Learning appear on the dashboard of UC but the assignment itself is not accessible.  What if we turned off the calendar in PS Learning?  Would this cause any issues does anybody know?

I created an assignment on an unpublished page of an active class, and the assignment "correctly" does not appear anywhere on the page. However, the date the assignment is due appears red on the calendar of the student's portal page and on the calendar of the "main page" of the class.

If the student goes to that day on the calendar, the student is able to view the assignment, even though the page the assignment is posted on is not published. Is the only way to avoid this from occurring is to not set up a due date until you are ready to post the assignment?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Expert kevins
Community Support Expert

Re: Making assignments due in the future unavailable to students.

Hi @gylepat

Thanks for posting here in the forums!

There are a couple of different options within Unified Classroom for what you want to do.

When creating an assignment, the [+] button has an arrow next to it that allows you to select different kinds of assignments. The Green Learning Assignment doesn't have any kind of publish date that can be set. It is immediately visible within the class under the Activities>Assignments by students. If it is necessary that the assignment be a Class Pages assignment, then I would recommend creating a separate Resources class under Quick Links>Learning : My Classes. This will only be visible to you and you can create resources in there then Copy them using a Content Block into the class that you want when you are ready.

If you don't need it to be a Class Pages assignment, you could use a Blue Basic Assignment. This has Publish settings which allow you to hold back the assignments visibility until you want it to be seen. This will give a bit more control from that side for you.

Hopefully, one of these two options will work for you!

Thanks!
-Kevin

2 Replies
Community Support Expert kevins
Community Support Expert

Hi @gylepat

Thanks for posting here in the forums!

There are a couple of different options within Unified Classroom for what you want to do.

When creating an assignment, the [+] button has an arrow next to it that allows you to select different kinds of assignments. The Green Learning Assignment doesn't have any kind of publish date that can be set. It is immediately visible within the class under the Activities>Assignments by students. If it is necessary that the assignment be a Class Pages assignment, then I would recommend creating a separate Resources class under Quick Links>Learning : My Classes. This will only be visible to you and you can create resources in there then Copy them using a Content Block into the class that you want when you are ready.

If you don't need it to be a Class Pages assignment, you could use a Blue Basic Assignment. This has Publish settings which allow you to hold back the assignments visibility until you want it to be seen. This will give a bit more control from that side for you.

Hopefully, one of these two options will work for you!

Thanks!
-Kevin

Highlighted
gylepat
Achiever

I like the idea of creating a resource "Page" and then copying those items into your active course.  This seems like a good work around but I don't think it is a final solution.  Hopefully the Powerschool folks are still working on improving this fuctionality.