HELP! Difficult to find submitted assignments.

Highlighted
gylepat
Achiever

HELP! Difficult to find submitted assignments.

Hi

I recently developed a technology rich, professional development badging program for the teachers in our district.  Developing it in PS Learning was very easy- that's the good news. Here is the issue.

There are currently 700 people enrolled in 17 different different sections of this program.(One section per school)  I have 36 "assignments" that require teachers to submit evidence of completion.

I rolled the course out yesterday and had 12 "assignments" submitted.  Finding those 12 assignments and grading them was extremely painful.  I had to go through each of the 17 sections and then scroll through all the names looking for submitted work. Some schools have 80 faculty numbers so you also need to click through 4 pages to see all the members.  There must be better way to do this.  If I see that 12 items have been submitted I would like to click on that button that says "12 assignments" and have it take me to those 12 assignments- like a "To do" list for teachers.

I understand that a normal class is not going have 700 students in it. However, I have heard this same complaint from our teachers that are teaching multiple sections of the same course. I didn't appreciate their concerns until I experienced myself.

Are we missing something to make our lives easier?  Thanks

4 Replies
Community Moderator MichelleB
Community Moderator

Re: HELP! Difficult to find submitted assignments.

Hi @gylepat

Your system sounds like a great application of the PowerSchool Learning product, but I can appreciate how tedious it would be go to manually go through 700 records trying to find 12 submissions!  I've checked in with my colleagues currently supporting PS Learning, and they do confirm that unfortunately at this time there is no easy way to filter or link to unread, newly submitted assignments.  

Your suggestion of a "to do" list that can be linked to from the new assignments notification seems like it would be a very useful feature, and it sounds like the teachers at your district would agree.  Although we don't currently have this capability, I am going to submit your idea as Feature Request for future consideration. 

If I can ask, when you are looking at assignments, do you perfer to view them by Assignment or by Student? Do you find one one of these views is more useful than the other?

Have other members had experience searching for submitted assignments they would like to share? 

Thank you so much for the feedback and have a great weekend!

Michelle B
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
gylepat
Achiever

Thank you for your reply and for looking into this further.  I truly hope this is a feature that is added soon to PS Learning.  Speaking of new features-  Is there any documentation  out there that provides information on when new releases will occur and what features will be added in new releases?  I feel there are a couple issues, including this one, that need a fix and it would be nice to know if they are on the agenda!   One other one is the ability for students to view assignments via the calenders even if the assignment is not visible.

I have been viewing both assignment and student but may be leaning towards viewing by student.  There are 36 pages of "students" I have to click through each day but if a "student" has submitted more than one assignment this seems to be a bit more efficient. Thanks again.

Community Moderator MichelleB
Community Moderator

Hi @gylepat

Can you please confirm, when you say "the ability for students to view assignments via the calenders even if the assignment is not visible", is this the same issue as this post:

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Announcements/Can-I-keep-assignments-from-appearing-in-the-...

If I understand it, the issue is that if you publish the assignment due date in the calendar, students can drill down from there to see the assignment that should not yet be available to them. Is that your concern as well?  I can see from that post that this feature request has been made already, but I can certainly add your vote for that, if this is the same functionality you are asking for.

With the move of the Learning Knowledge Base to the PS Community,  I am verifying where Release Notes can now be found, and will get back to you on that shortly.

Thanks!

Michelle B
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!
gylepat
Achiever

Yes, this is the same issue.  I had seen it at this location but did want to emphasize and cast my "vote" on fixing this behavior.