Grades not Permanently Storing

Highlighted
Padawan

Grades not Permanently Storing

I will try not to make this long-winded...

I am unable to permanently store grades for summer school.  Summer school is set-up as a separate school.  When I enrolled students to summer school, I enrolled them through the normal school set-up to the summer school (I hope this makes sense as I am not trying to use our school name here).  Now that summer school is over, I tried to permanently store them but nothing happened.  

I chatted with PS - they created a case as they were not able to find a solution right away.  

In our normal school set up, I don't have a term set up for summer school; only the two semesters.  I have a feeling that is the issue - since the system doesn't recognize a term for summer school, it has nowhere to store it.  Is that fixable then?  Can I adjust the school year dates so I can include a summer school term?  Also, do I change the other terms to 1/3 since there would be three terms?   Please advise.  

8 Replies
Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Re: Grades not Permanently Storing

@godoy 

If you are using the new(ish) remote summer school setup, be sure the same Store Codes are set up in the remote SS building as well as the student's home building. The dates do not have to match, but the codes do.

@JeffG9 

Ok, that makes sense.  I did use the remote feature.  

I am new to this, so where should I go to make sure the store code is set-up the same?  

Here is a thought:  In the school set-up, the store code is manually overridden to store as SS (this was done by the person prior to me).  So for example, when I initially manually store grades for summer school, I enter it as S25 (since a letter and number is required).  I then go to DDE and override it to SS.  I hope this makes sense. 

Therefore, I am now thinking that since in the summer school set-up, I have it set as S25, when I try to permanently store grades, it is not finding the store code S25 since technically it is overridden to SS.  

I hope this makes sense.  

Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @godoy ,

You can see what store codes are set up at a school at Setup>School>Final Grade/Reporting Terms.

I am not certain I follow you in the second part of your message, as there is no reason to manually override a Store Code, because you can store a reporting term as anything you'd like. In the attache screenshot, the drop-down in he red box will contain all the store codes set up at a school. You can choose to store a Y1 as a Y6, for instance. This is commonly done for Progress reports--storing a Q1 grade as an X1 grade for a 5-week progress report--for example.

@JeffG9 

It doesn't allow me to create a new term because the dates go beyond when the end of the year date.  

Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@godoy 

Not sure I follow.

In your Virtual SS building, you might have a 2020-2021 Year & Term of 7/15/2020-8/15/2020 and in that Term you may have a Final Grade/Reporting Term Y1.

Then, in the home building, you would have our ordinary 2020-2021 Term of 7/1/2020-6/30/2021 with a Final Grade/Reporting Term of Y1.

The dates on either the Year/Terms or Reporting Terms do not have to match.

@JeffG9 

Thanks for trying to assist me.  I am so lost.  I apologize.  This is all new to me.  I am waiting on PS to get back to me but they are so slow.  Thanks, though, for trying to assist me.  I am sure that your recommendations work, but I really have no idea what that all means.  

Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Hi @godoy 

Say you have a 2020-2021 Term with the dates 7/15/2020-8/15/2020 set up in the Virtual SS building. This would be under Setup>School>Scheduling Cluster>Year & Terms.

You then set up your Final Grade/Reporting Terms at Setup>School>Grading Cluster>Final Grade/Reporting Terms. You could set up a Y1 and give it the same date range, 7/15/2020-8/15/2020.

Then, at the students' home building, you will likely have a 2020-2021 Term with actual school year dates like 7/1/2020-6/30/2021. You'd set up a Y1 Final Grade/Reporting Term, but the dates do not have to be 7/15/2020-8/15/2020.

Do you have that many students taking summer school courses? If not, manually enter the grades in Historical and give it whatever store code you want, you don't have to use a previously configured store code. We use M1 although it is never setup in Y and T.