Google Team Drives

Highlighted
aciuffo
Achiever

Re: Google Team Drives

This is great news!  Thanks very much for sharing!

Is there a chance that your feature review team consider a reimplementation of the GDrive File Picker? The current "Recents" picker implementation is a huge headache for many of our teachers as it forces them to open another google drive window, locate the file NAME and then search directly for it rather than being able to navigate the folder structure.

Thanks again for keeping us up to date.

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for your support with this feature request!

PowerSchool Learning users within your district should be able to select a folder within the Google Drive drop-down.  I have added screenshots below of the feature to select a folder within Google Drive.image (9).png

image (10).png

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

View solution in original post

aciuffo
Achiever

Thank you! This is definitely a step in the right direction! I really appreciate this change and will share it with our staff.  Also, thank you for sharing our feedback with the development team and working to improve PowerSchool Learning overall.

Would you still consider using one of the other file pickers? This style file picker you have just implemented definitely an improvement. For some users this style can be challenging to use because it does not show the overall structure, just a list of folders without some search terms. Additionally it requires the user to be aware of the reveal triangle shown in your screen shots. In my experience with our staff, most users have never clicked on the reveal triangle until it has been pointed out one on one.

Screen Shot 2019-03-28 at 8.21.32 AM.png

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

At this time, PowerSchool Learning is not using another file picker.  I will be happy to add this to the feature request submitted to the PowerSchool Product Team!

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
cgarber
Achiever

Hi, Jamie.  I'm the OP for this thread.

Are there any plans at this point for Google Shared Drive integration?  As stated earlier, we have a quandry at our school, having encouraged staff to migrate documents to Shared Drives, then learning that we can't access them in the PSLearning file picker.  We've had to put this migration to Shared Drives on hold, which causes problems for our school with respect to ownership and leaving staff.

Can you let us know when we might expect the File Picker to be updated to also access Shared Drives? 

Thanks,

Chet Garber

martinm
Hobbyist

Hi Jamie (and other PS support staff on this thread)

Our schools are in the exact same position as @cgarber 's. Most of our teaching staff co-teach and, since we rely heavily on Google Drive, Shared Drives are the only practical way to share documents and resources. In order to add content from Google Drive to their PSL classes, our teachers using Shared Drives must first copy those resources into their own personal Drives before adding to their class.

Please escalate this fundamental requirement to your product development team on behalf of those schools in our situation (I'm sure we are not alone).

Many thanks

Martin M

aciuffo
Achiever

@martinm @cgarber I have a partial work around for this issue. It's far from ideal, but it can work for sharing content that is stored in a Shared Drive though does not work well for the attach feature of assignments. 

It's possible to embed a Shared Drive (google) document in a PSL page. 

1. Open Google Document stored in a Sahred Drive
  2. choose to publish to the web: File > Publish to the Web > 
  3. Choose "embed" and click publish
  4. Copy the embed iframe HTML and add to an "On Page Text" content block. You'll need to add the height and width parameters to the iframe tag to make it look right.

Complete instructions and an example can be found here:

https://ash.learning.powerschool.com/psladmin/powerschoollearningforteachers/cms_page/view/48773536

I suspect PowerSchool's reluctance to update the file picker has to do with the very different ways that Shared Drive manages permissions and sharing. 

@jamiem7 I understand that you have limited information you can share, but if you or your bosses can give us some more background and perhaps some techincal details, it might help us be a bit more understaning and patient. I know it gets old saying "At this time, PowerSchool Learning is not using another file picker," but we also answer to our staff and having some better informaiton or a timeline to share with them would be most helpful.

cgarber
Achiever

Thanks for that, @aciuffo .  That's a good workaround for display level work, and something I'll suggest for staff who need it.

Most of my staff, however, wants access to Google Docs they can assign as homework, which isn't something we can get around with the embed codes.  Really important to get this feature added to the file picker; this is easy fodder for "why did we move to this LMS" discussions.

Atlas Rubicon did not originally have Shared Drives added to their Google file picker, then were able to make them available.  Can anyone at PS enlighten us on the issue related to this?

Any updates, @ScottS ?

martinm
Hobbyist

Many thanks for sharing this workaround, @aciuffo! This definitely works when publishing resources on class pages (we're using a similar workaround, which I posted further up this thread). Unfortunately, as @cgarber mentions, it doesn't support the PSL assignment workflow.

Many of our staff co-teach classes, or teach parallel sections of the same Masterclass. Our schools have migrated en masse from Google Classroom, where it was easy for teachers to share, or reuse, assignments with handouts picked from Google Shared Drives. We have yet to find a workaround in PSL for this pretty common scenario.

PowerSchool are understandably channelling resource into developing Unified Classroom - perhaps there is a solution built into that platform. But for schools like ours still using PSL, with no immediate plans to migrate, the lack of a fix to this issue remains a frustration.

aciuffo
Achiever

@martinm @cgarber 

I have another kludge to make assignments work from shared drives. It's plenty ugly, but it definitely works. I doubt your teachers will love this (mine sure don't), but it's a workaround.

To make an "assignment" link, do the following:

1. Double check that your Shared Drive is set to allow copying of documents (rt click on shared drive > Shared drive settings > Allow viewers to copy and print
  2. Make the document viewable by everyone in your domain (or the web depending on your audience)
    • You may also need to do the following: Locate the document in your shared drive, rt click on document and click on Share > Who has Access > vertical 3 dot menu in top right corner > untick Restrict download, print & copy actions on this file for commenters & viewers.
  3. Copy the link for the document
  4. Paste the link into the assignment description field in Learning and change the end of the link from '/edit' to '/copy' -- see below for a working example:

original 'sharable link': https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nYX2GRhvR_W1VOYaccOzjpfjc3xVuJ8DHE27HtxpYa0/edit

force copy link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nYX2GRhvR_W1VOYaccOzjpfjc3xVuJ8DHE27HtxpYa0/copy

Like I said: UGLY, but functional.

I'm pretty sure it's possible for PowerSchool to do this through the Drive API.