Good Practices Granting Admin Permissions for Teacher Administrators

Highlighted
aciuffo
Achiever

Good Practices Granting Admin Permissions for Teacher Administrators

I am the PowerSchool Learning administrator for our school (Grades 5-12). I have deputized some of the technical staff with admin accounts should I be ill, but they do not work in Learning so they really have no understanding of the system. They can theoretically get into the admin console and do tasks, but would probably require a PowerSchool technician on the phone with them to acomplish a task like reassigning a course to another teacher, or troubleshooting a roster problem.

Rather than try to train technical staff in a system that they never use, I would like to train some of our teaching staff to do routine trouble shooting, handle transferring courses or similar tasks. 

What permissions or combination of permissions can I set to give a teacher the ability to do the tasks outlined above?

I see that I can offer teachers the following permissions, but none of these seem to offer a limited admin role:

• Domain View (can view many domain properties, but cannot change class settings, help with rosters)
  • Masqurade (can view an individual user and work as another user)
  • Shadow (can view)

None of these appear to offer what I am looking for. It appears that I would need to create an separate super-admin role for these teachers. I feel that's a bit too dangerous though. Is there something inbetween that Im missing? 

How do other schools/districts approach this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Angelam7
Veteran

Re: Good Practices Granting Admin Permissions for Teacher Administrators

Hi @aciuffo,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance through the Community!  It appears you are seeking feedback from other districts/schools.  I will say we do agree with you and do not recommend providing a super-admin role.  I know you listed some of the roles in your post but I am providing an article you can reference for the roles below.  

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Permissions/What-Kinds-Of-Special-Permissions-Can-I-Assign-...

If you have additional questions let me know and I will be happy to help!

Angelam7
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
1 Reply
Angelam7
Veteran

Re: Good Practices Granting Admin Permissions for Teacher Administrators

Hi @aciuffo,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance through the Community!  It appears you are seeking feedback from other districts/schools.  I will say we do agree with you and do not recommend providing a super-admin role.  I know you listed some of the roles in your post but I am providing an article you can reference for the roles below.  

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Permissions/What-Kinds-Of-Special-Permissions-Can-I-Assign-...

If you have additional questions let me know and I will be happy to help!

Angelam7
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!