Feature Request - Google Drive File Picker Improvements

aciuffo
Achiever

Feature Request - Google Drive File Picker Improvements

When attempting to insert a google drive file into a PSL page, the interface is extreemly difficult to use. Please consider changing the API interface.

The current PSL Google drive file picker implementaiton appears to use the google.picker.ViewId.RECENTLY_PICKED or the google.picker.ViewId.DOCS as documented here.

The current file picker gives teachers access to their google drive, but only shows recently modified documents. It's exceptionally difficult to find a particular document unless you happen to know the exact name of the file. Teachers also have many similarly named files: e.g. Homework 1; Handout 1 making even more difficult to select the correct file using this interface. 

There is no effective way to navigate the file structure in google drive when using this file-picker implementation. Only recently modified files are shown. Most teachers want to be able to locate documents inside a folder view to know they are attaching the exact document they want. The screen shot below shows the google.picker.ViewId.RECENTLY_PICKED window.

unnamed.png

Please consider implementing the API picker builder to use google.picker.ViewId.FOLDERS. This implementation should allow teachers to more effectively navigate the folder structure. I have not directly used this API, so I may not have suggested the correct API implemention, but the documents here may be useful. There is a demo API Picker project on GitHub that may also serve as a good reference for your developers. 
5 Replies
aciuffo
Achiever

Re: Feature Request - Google Drive File Picker Improvements

Thanks for the follow up on this. Is there a feature roadmap that we can follow for topics such as this?

If there is a way to beta-test some of these features, I would be very interested in participating in that process. I have a few teachers in our domain that would go nuts for a better file picker.

Angelam7
Veteran

Hi @aciuffo,

Yes, you can follow product updates by following the link below and subscribing to it.  There will be some updates posted this week and the following updates will be posted weeks in advance moving forward.  I have reached out in regards to the beta-testing and will follow up once I have more information.  Please see the link below and if you have any questions let me know!

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Release-Notifications/tkb-p/Learning-Release-Notifications

I am providing the steps to subscribe below.  

1. Once the link is open you will see a rectangle, teal box on the right side of the screen that says "Options'"(select this)

2. In the dropdown menu select "Subscribe"

Hi @aciuffo,

Thank you for providing this feature request!  I will submit this to our Product Team for review on your behalf.  If they should need any additional information they will reach out to you.  We appreciate you taking the time to post in the Community!

Have a great day!

Angelam7
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Angelam7
Veteran

Hi @aciuffo,

I wanted to follow up to let you know beta-testing could be a possibility but is not confirmed.  Once I get confirmation of the process I will let you know.  Stay tuned for more to come!

Have a great day!

Angelam7

If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
aciuffo
Achiever

One of the community moderators has posted an update on this feature. There is limited support for "advanced" search that includes a drop down for file types (folders, pdf, etc.) now implemented. Look for the 

You can read more over at this post.

image (9).png

Angelam7
Veteran

Hi @aciuffo,

Thank you for sharing this information!  If you have additional questions, please let me know and I will be happy to help.

Have a great day!

Angelam7