Difficult to differentiate Semester 1 from Semester 2 classes

Shane-Whitford
Practitioner

Difficult to differentiate Semester 1 from Semester 2 classes

Hello,

We are using PowerSchool SIS and importing classes into PowerSchool Learning. I have had several teachers report that it is difficult for them to differentiate between Semseter 1 and Semester 2 classes in PowerSchool Learning (PSL). Furthermore, PowerSchool SIS and PowerTeacher Pro both do a good job of displaying S1 and S2 for all of their classes, but once they are imported into PSL the S1 and S2 disappear. This is very frustating for teachers who have multiple classes of the same name. For example I have one teacher who teaches World Geography six periods a day and the only difference between them in PSL is the instance of that class and the period. For example World Geography (1) - 1 would be first period and World Geography (2) - 3 would the second instance of that class which is held third period. Does anyone know of a best practice in naming classes or if PSL can import the semester information from the SIS?

Here is a screenshot demonstrating the World Geography teacher's issue:Class-Names-No-Semesters.pngNo S1 or S2 on some classes.

Shane Whitford
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Moderator JanD
Community Moderator

Re: Difficult to differentiate Semester 1 from Semester 2 classes

Hello Shane –

Thank you for your post in the PowerSchool Community.

In order for the courses to display in PowerSchool Learning with the semester indicators, they need to be created in PowerSchool SIS as two separate courses, one for each term, with the semester indicator as part of the course name.  When they are imported over to PS Learning, they will then display properly, and users will be able to easily differentiate between the separate courses. 

Since the courses you are referring to were already imported, one suggestion is to have teachers manually update those course names.  This does mean that they will need to review them with their records in PS SIS, but once they update them, those names will not be overridden by future imports. I’m including a resource on PowerSchool imports which includes information on course mappings and how those classes are named during the import.

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Imports-Exports/What-do-I-need-to-know-if-I-am-using-the-in...

Please let us know if you have additional questions or if we can be of further assistance.

We appreciate your participation in the PowerSchool Community.

JanD

PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your
issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the
solution, too!

@Shane-Whitford wrote:

Hello,

We are using PowerSchool SIS and importing classes into PowerSchool Learning. I have had several teachers report that it is difficult for them to differentiate between Semseter 1 and Semester 2 classes in PowerSchool Learning (PSL). Furthermore, PowerSchool SIS and PowerTeacher Pro both do a good job of displaying S1 and S2 for all of their classes, but once they are imported into PSL the S1 and S2 disappear. This is very frustating for teachers who have multiple classes of the same name. For example I have one teacher who teaches World Geography six periods a day and the only difference between them in PSL is the instance of that class and the period. For example World Geography (1) - 1 would be first period and World Geography (2) - 3 would the second instance of that class which is held third period. Does anyone know of a best practice in naming classes or if PSL can import the semester information from the SIS?

Here is a screenshot demonstrating the World Geography teacher's issue:Class-Names-No-Semesters.pngNo S1 or S2 on some classes.

JanD
2 Replies
Community Moderator JanD
Community Moderator

Hello Shane –

Thank you for your post in the PowerSchool Community.

In order for the courses to display in PowerSchool Learning with the semester indicators, they need to be created in PowerSchool SIS as two separate courses, one for each term, with the semester indicator as part of the course name.  When they are imported over to PS Learning, they will then display properly, and users will be able to easily differentiate between the separate courses. 

Since the courses you are referring to were already imported, one suggestion is to have teachers manually update those course names.  This does mean that they will need to review them with their records in PS SIS, but once they update them, those names will not be overridden by future imports. I’m including a resource on PowerSchool imports which includes information on course mappings and how those classes are named during the import.

https://help.powerschool.com/t5/Learning-Imports-Exports/What-do-I-need-to-know-if-I-am-using-the-in...

Please let us know if you have additional questions or if we can be of further assistance.

We appreciate your participation in the PowerSchool Community.

JanD

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your
issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the
solution, too!

@Shane-Whitford wrote:

Hello,

JanD
Shane-Whitford
Practitioner

This make sense and it appears that in the past our classes were setup with S1 and S2 in the names, but for some reason our staff who setup the schedule and classes stopped doing that. I think the work-around of re-naming will do just fine and in the future we will ensure that the classes are either named appropriately from the start, or renamed as needed.

Thank you!

Shane Whitford