Deleting turned in assignments

Highlighted
Journeyman

Deleting turned in assignments

When a student turns in the wrong thing, they have the ability to upload more files so that the teacher can see the correct work, but then there are multiple files in the same spot, which can be confusing for the teacher. Is there a way to be able to have either the student or the teacher delete unwanted files from an assignment turn in spot? Or will all the files live there unless the assignment is deleted? 

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Deleting turned in assignments

Hi @epitel

Thank you for your post! if you are viewing student work in Learning, you should see an option to delete (trash can icon) next to the message. If you click on that, you will get the following warning before deleting:

Are you sure you wish to delete this message?
This will prevent all users from accessing this message and its attachments.

Do you see this option when looking at student work under Assignments > View Work?

JbidK
PowerSchool Community Manager
Journeyman

I don't see this option under Assignments, View Work...just a message icon and a download icon.  I also don't see it when I click on the student's name.  

Highlighted
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Actually a teacher being able to delete a submitted assignment in PowerSchool Learning or the Unified Classroom would be a dangerous option. It prevents a student from saying "you must have deleted it because I turned it in!"  I explain to my students be very careful what you submit and make sure it's the correct file for the right assignment.

Highlighted
Journeyman

We've had multiple LMS systems in the past where students can remove work that was incorrect. When working with younger students, it doesn't matter how many times you tell them and how slowly you step them through it, it is a frequent issue. It isn't something we can't deal with but it is a feature that is very helpful.  I can't imagine if I were taking an online course and I accidentally uploading something that wasn't for the course and my instructor had access to that file and there was nothing I could do with it. I would be very upset. It isn't a hard feature to add, they really should look into it.

Highlighted
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Dan is correct.  Currently, only users with a Domain Administrator account in PowerSchool Learning has the ability to delete messages/attachments in PowerSchool Learning.  

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a domain administrator account and never have seen that option. How would I get to that?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It took me a long time to find it, but I was able to get there by going to Classes, finding the class, then clicking on the URL for that class.  After getting to the class (while logged in as a Domain Admin), I had to go to Activities, then Assignments, and then change by Assignment to BY STUDENT.  I then clicked on the student's name, found the assignment, opened it, and finally found the trash can.  I hope that helps.