Creating new class from a template vs from an existing class

Highlighted
Journeyman

Creating new class from a template vs from an existing class

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out the difference between using the "save class as..." feature from a template vs from a class.  I am attempting to create a number of classes for next year based off a class I had this year.  I will be keeping most of the content the same.  I know I can save this year's class as either a new class or as a template.  Next I will be using either that new class or that new template to generate further new sections to use next year.  What's the difference between generating these classes from a template or from a class?  I don't see an immediate difference, but don't want to miss anything...  If it matters, one of the features I use regularly are discussion board content blocks.

Thank you,

Alex

3 Replies
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Re: Creating new class from a template vs from an existing class

Hello @alexwGC,

This is a great question!  There are recommended articles in PowerSchool Community to provide further information on your query.

I am sharing links to those articles for your reference:

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi Reshma,

Thank you for the resources, but they don't really tell me the difference between generating new classes for next year using the "save as..." feature of an existing class or the "save as..." feature of a template that I have made from an existing class.

Thanks if you can provide any additional clarificaiton.

Alex

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @alexwGC,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance through PowerSchool Community!

Creating new classes using the "Save as" feature of an existing class or the "Save as" feature of a template from an existing class is the same. If you use the same content over and over in multiple classes you can create a Template containing this information. Then, when you create a new class, you can use the template to automatically populate your new class with your content.

Sowmya Karmel
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!