Creating a Text File in PowerSchool with Specific Field Lengths

VeraL
Journeyman

Creating a Text File in PowerSchool with Specific Field Lengths

Greetings:

I have to create a text file in PowerSchool with specific field lengths for each row and column. Spaces must be used to complete the required field length when necessary. The total number of column data in each row must total 239 exact characters. What is the easiest way to accomplish this?

7 Replies
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Re: Creating a Text File in PowerSchool with Specific Field Lengths

Thank you for reaching out in the Community!

While the Community is a great place for questions and we encourage you to continue posting in the Community for users' best practices, I recommend reaching out to PowerSchool Learning Support to discuss creating a text file with specific field dimensions.

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
coreyconnor
Practitioner

An Export Template (System > Page and Data Management > Templates for Exporting)

will allow you to create an export with specific field lengths. 

VeraL
Journeyman

Thank you so much. Smiley Happy

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Once this export template is created in PowerSchool, is there a way to schedule it to export to somewhere automatically?

VeraL
Journeyman

Greetings:

After finding your way to Start Page > System Administrator > Page and Data Management > Data Export Manager, setup you Export information on the Export tab. After saving the information, click the My Templates tab. There is a blue button with a white calendar to schedule the template to export the data. 

If you don't see this option, you may have to make the changes under the security group in PowerSchool...

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

Thanks for the info.  I am not sure I am clear on what I am trying to do.  I set up an export template through Page & Data Mgt - Templates for Exporting.  I have my template ready there.  I know how to set up an export the way you describe but is there a way to use the Template I created using Templates for Exporting? I do not see anyway here to schedule this type of Template.  I hope this makes sense.  

coreyconnor
Practitioner

Templates for Export cannot be scheduled.

If you need specific field lenghts and scheduled export, you'll probably need to create a PowerQuery with heavy use of Format Models in your SQL.  You'll need to alias any field you use a format model on.

Once you have your PowerQuery built you can schedule it through DEM