"Bottom out" grades or categories

adunn

"Bottom out" grades or categories

I am wondering if there is a way to "bottom out" a category so that students can get no less than, say, a 40% in "classwork." I know one school of thought says teachers should not assign 0s, but I question the efficacy of this practice in that it seems to hold kids inherently to lowered standards. That being said, I am trying to boost the morale of some of my students and was thinking that "bottoming out" a category would be one way to do so. Does anyone know if it is possible to do this in Power School?

Thank you.

1 Reply
AbrittyB
Senior

Hi !

Since the cutoff percentage range has to be from 0-100%, there should be at least one item with a value of zero.

Admins within the district could build categories based on a grade scale. For example, the grading scale could have numeric values in the "Grade" column as (less than 40). This way, when a teacher enters a score for a student, they will be selecting the numeric value (less than 40), instead of letters A-F.

AbrittyB
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Please give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!