Update Grades in Real Time

f352370
Hobbyist

Update Grades in Real Time

When I enter a grade for an assignment, I have to click "Save" to see the new calculated final grade.  This makes it extremely difficult to talk to students, admin, counselors, or parents about the hypothetical impact of an assignment.  To save hypothetical grades is to invite serious mistakes or misconceptions about the students' grades.

Is there a setting that will allow the final grade to update automatically without saving?

7 Replies
mmorgan
Journeyman

Re: Update Grades in Real Time

Some of our teachers will post a zero - 0 - grade for assignments or projects not turned in.  If a student misses a test and does not take it in a reasonable amount of time, a zero is posted.  This allows students and parents to see the impact of missing work, hopefully spurring them on to get the documents completed and turned in.  We do have limits for make-up work, though some flexibility is given depending upon the situation.

f352370
Hobbyist

At the end of the quarter, when a student says, "well if I turn in those three assignments, what will my grade be?" I can only show that student by inputting grades and saving them to the gradebook.  Meaning their grade is updated and published with the hypothetical grade for that time.  I want to be able to show that student their hypothetical grade without publishing it.

I want to change 0's to 5's and adjust test and quiz scores, and input 0's into future assignments, show a student how those grades impact their final grade, and then hit "Cancel" or "Don't Save" or "Input whatever isn't a button that saves the scores" to make it all go back to the way it was.

molly6
Journeyman

This is a big issue for us as we have switched to Pro this year. We want to be able to "fudge" a grade a little as needed (various reasons...) and cannot do that withouth saving. As soon as we hit "save," students and parents see that, so we can't just "Play" with the "what if" situations. Many of us view this as a major fault of the system and impacts how we work with our students. (and I notice now that the original post was a year ago and no official response, so I guess they don't really care.)

f352370
Hobbyist

No, and that's the primary issue with me - they don't care.  I posted a series of flaws from the older system to the new and was reprimanded by a moderator who threatened to report me to my district.  Eyeroll - ok, so my district would know that PS refuses to address flaws in their system?  OK.

Their canned response is that they have no forum for product suggestions.  What they don't say is that they likely have no intention of starting one.

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

@f352370 @molly6 

Most districts have a PowerSchool Administrator with access to PowerSource, where they can enter "Enhancement Requests." There is currently a request for exactly the functionality you mention that was created on 12/8/2017. I have just gone in and givent it its 44th "upvote." As a former teacher, I understand why this behavior in PT Pro is cumbersome.

If you have such a person in-district, you can tell them the Enhancement Request is ID 9489.

Just like Canvas. There are some ridiculous problems that could be solved if enough people "vote" for them. (and another problem I'm dealing with invovles an interaction between this and Canvas, which worked with the legacy grade book.)

Thanks. 

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for sharing your feedback in the PowerSchool Community!

PowerSchool strives to improve each product for all PowerSchool customers.  The PowerSchool Product Team reviews each request that is shared to find opportunities to incorporate product updates.  Product updates go through a stage of review of the ability to incorporate each request into the product.  As updates are made to the product and released, communication is sent to Designated Support Contacts.  

We encourage customers to submit feature requests and vote on existing feature request to emphasize the number of customers that would like to see features incorporated into the product.

We thank you for sharing your feedback to PowerSchool so we can have an idea of the type of updates PowerSchool customers would like to have added to each product.

Jamie H.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!