Turn off parent/student view of schedule

Highlighted
doford

Turn off parent/student view of schedule

How do we turn off the ability for parents/students to view their schedule in Parent/Student Portal?  We want them to be able to access a third party application (InfoSnap Registration) on the left column, but not see the student schedule over the summer.  Is there a way to disable viewing the student's schedule but still log into the portal?

3 Replies
Community Moderator Angelam7
Community Moderator

Re: Turn off parent/student view of schedule

Hi @doford,

That is a great question!  I understand you are requesting to remove the student's schedule so the schedule is not visible in the Parent Portal.  I recommend reaching out to the PowerSchool Administrator within your district so they can assist you further with this request.  I hope this information helps.  If you have additional questions let me know and I will be happy to help!

Angelam7
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

In the summer we generally shut down the whole parent portal:

In the District Office: Start Page > District Setup >  Miscellaneous

In the School:: Start Page > School Setup > Parent/Student Access

Now if you want to keep the parent portal open, but remove access to menu items that would require customizing the wild cards that control the menu::

Start Page > System Administrator > Page and Data Management > Custom Page Management

The files that need modifying:

guardian_header_yui.txt
guardian_header.txt

I would suggest that rather than deleting the menu item directly you just comment it out.

We've actually created a number of forms that we require parents to fill out before they can see the schedule to do that I use a bunch of [IF] statements on the pages to prevent them from seeing the schedule even after we open the portal again.

Hope this helps.

PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

On the Miscellaneous page at District, there is a place to mark the default term to show when between school years.  I mark that to show the previous year but keep the portal open for Registration.  Parents and students will only view their previous years schedule and not the upcoming years schedule.