SFTP directory maintenance / archiving

ed5
Journeyman

SFTP directory maintenance / archiving

We use SFTP to auto upload to PowerSchool.  (I user TaskScheduler with powershell to upload to at least 8 different directories.)  One of those directories is a "photos" directory.  We have been uploading for a couple of years now, and the directory has ballooned to about 30k items.

What is the process for cleaning up this directory or when does powershcool archive and purge this?

Please let me know if I have to be purging this.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Re: SFTP directory maintenance / archiving

Hi @ed5,

Thank you for providing additional information on this thread.

PowerSchool SIS' SFTP for AutoComm is meant to pull data from an SFTP server only. Any maintenance of the folder will need to be performed on the SFTP server itself, since PowerSchool SIS doesn't support removing data from an SFTP site at this point.

You could potentially set up a script on the SFTP server to auto run at a particular time of day that would clear out the files after the AutoComm has completed.

Scott S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
5 Replies
Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

Thank you for reaching out in the PowerSchool Community!

PowerSchool can assist with the deletion of all student photos within PowerSchool SIS, however, there is not a possibility to remove a selection of photos.

I have submitted a feature request on your behalf to enable the ability to remove a selection of student photos within PowerSchool SIS.  

Jamie H.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
ed5
Journeyman

um...  the deletion would not be from within PowerSchool SIS.

Or at least that is my understanding of how SIS works...

we upload our .jpegs via SFTP into a directory.

after that SIS is supposed to do an import into a database...

that directory "should be" a temporary location.

again...  that is what I think it is supposed to be.

Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Hi @ed5,

Thank you for providing additional information on this thread.

PowerSchool SIS' SFTP for AutoComm is meant to pull data from an SFTP server only. Any maintenance of the folder will need to be performed on the SFTP server itself, since PowerSchool SIS doesn't support removing data from an SFTP site at this point.

You could potentially set up a script on the SFTP server to auto run at a particular time of day that would clear out the files after the AutoComm has completed.

Scott S.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
ed5
Journeyman

@jamiem7  @ScottS 

Thank you both...  I will setup a cleaup script shortly.

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

My Pleasure!  I'm glad we were able to assist!

Jamie H.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!