I am having an issue with a particular PC that Gradebook will not load in Google Chrome. I have tested the user on other devices and had success - the user even works on that PC on other browsers. On chrome the bouncing balls just continue forever.
I tried reinstalling chrome, clearing cache, everything I could think of.
On google I see several other districts have had the issue but none of the resolutions worked.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
If you are talking about PTG and Chrome 45 or greater on the Windows machine, I'm not sure it will work. That's one reason why PowerSchool introduced PowerTeacher Pro a few years ago.
They are using power teacher pro and clicking on the gradebook, sorry for the confused terminology. The application runs within the browser
We thank you for reaching out to PowerSchool Community!
To assist you better with the issue that you are facing, would you provide us a screenshot of the window to see what's happening when you click on the grade book?
@pgouveia has the teacher tried a different browser on the machine or a different machine to make sure it's not the account but either device or browser?
It's absolutely the browser. It works on Edge on the same machine, but works on Chrome with a google admin mandated version on all other teachers devices. I reinstalled chrome, cleaned caches, etc, to no avail.
Thank you so much for providing more information. We would need to check if there is something that is causing Chrome from loading the grade book. I recommend reaching out to the PowerSchool SIS support team to help troubleshoot this for you.
Meanwhile, we can use this thread to ask other Community members to share any experience around this topic if they have faced a similar issue.
Was there ever a solution to this as I have some users that just got this problem this past week. PowerTreacher Pro does work on other browsers. Just not Chrome.
I never found a "magic bullet" fix - but some combination of running softwares like TFC, CCleaner and/or uninstalling chrome completely (And running those cleaners afterwards) seemed to do the trick - in conjunction with making sure windows was up to date.
We got a rash of them, struggled through resolving each one, and then just as mysteriously as it started it stopped...