Overall grade percentage over 100% and Points earned are more that Points Possible

Educator3rd
Rookie

Overall grade percentage over 100% and Points earned are more that Points Possible

Overall percenages are showing 248% (on scoresheet) for Quarter 2 grades.  Using Standard Base Grades only entering a 1, 2, or 3 for scores.  When I run the Student Individual Report with Category Summary, Points Earned shows 49 out of 18 possible for Tests, Fact Assess. is 120.44 out of 24, and Hwork is 56.46 out of 51.   No one in my school district can figure out what has happened.  First Quarter calculations were ok.  

9 Replies
Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Re: Overall grade percentage over 100% and Points earned are more that Points Possible

Hi @Educator3rd!

Thank you for posting your question in the PowerSchool Community.

The issue that you're seeing can sometimes be caused by setting up assignments to use points, with only a few points like 10 with the score entry set to points, and entering a grade as a percentage. For example, if the assignment is configured to have 10 points, the score is configured to be entered as points, the student earns a 95%, and you enter a 95 for the assignment, the system will calculate it as a 950% for the assignment.

If this doesn't align with what you are seeing, I would recommend reaching out to your district's technical contact to see if they can assist in troubleshooting the issue.

Regards,

Scott S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Highlighted
Educator3rd
Rookie

Re: Overall grade percentage over 100% and Points earned are more that Points Possible

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.   I have checked all assignments, but have not found a solution yet.  Thanks!

Community Moderator Jason_Springel
Community Moderator

Hello. If we are talking about  PowerTeacher Pro, this should not be happening unless the assignments were set to a Score Type of points and Extra Points were assigned to be allowed, or the Score Type was percent, in which case the gradebook allowed the user to enter a value up to 200% for an assignment. Otherwise the grade book prohibits the user from entering invalid scores or scores that exceed the max points allowed.

The only other possible cause I can think of is if there is something wrong with your grade scale configuration that may be allowing a score 'Grade Value' to be over 100%.

I would suggest picking a student that is showing this problem and going to their Assignments screen. That will show their overall course grade at the top-right and a list of all of their assignments. Be sure the Summary bar is being displayed (if not, click the gear icon and choose "Show Summary"). That will let you skim through each assignment score and see the letter grade (or grade scale grade), percent, and points for each assignment. Perhaps you can find if any particular single assignment is causing the inflated overall course grade.  

See attached exampe image.

Jason Springel | Solution Strategy Director, SIS and PowerSchool Evangelist | PowerSchool
Watch my PowerSchool Insider screencast!
Community Moderator Jason_Springel
Community Moderator

One other thought after re-reading your post and your mention of standards. The definition of your Traditional Grade Calculation is also a critial item to check. Depending on how it is set to calculate should help point you to where you should look for problems. You mention categories and category weights, but if the traditional grade is set to Standards Weighting, then the assignment scores aren't being used at all, and it comes down to your standards final grades and the grade scale associated with them.

Support can help you dig in to all of these configuration areas if you still need help.

Jason Springel | Solution Strategy Director, SIS and PowerSchool Evangelist | PowerSchool
Watch my PowerSchool Insider screencast!
Educator3rd
Rookie

RE:  Overall Grade Percentage

I checked assignment settings and everything looks ok.   I have included some images for you to look at.   Quarter 2 is when the issues arrived.    All the calculations are set to total points and I did not make any changes with calculations.  Great suggestions.  Thanks !   Patty

2019_01_30_09_55_350002.jpgQ2GradeIssues.jpg

Community Moderator

Hi @Educator3rd!

Thank you for the screen shots of PowerTeacher Pro. Based upon the screen shots, it looks like the individual assignments may be configured for a small number of points with extra credit. I would recommend reaching out to your school's Technical Contact and have them reach out to our suppor team so that one of our fantastic Technical Support Engineers can help troubleshoot what's causing your grade percentages to be so high.

Scott S.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Educator3rd
Rookie

Thank you.  I am working on finding out who the district's Technical contact person is.   

Community Moderator jamiem7
Community Moderator

If you are experiencing difficulties locating the Technical Contact within the district, I recommend reaching out to the School Administrator or IT Department to request the names of the Technical Contacts.

Jamie M.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Community Moderator

Hi @Educator3rd!

Thank you for posting your question in the PowerSchool Community.

The issue that you're seeing can sometimes be caused by setting up assignments to use points, with only a few points like 10 with the score entry set to points, and entering a grade as a percentage. For example, if the assignment is configured to have 10 points, the score is configured to be entered as points, the student earns a 95%, and you enter a 95 for the assignment, the system will calculate it as a 950% for the assignment.

If this doesn't align with what you are seeing, I would recommend reaching out to your district's technical contact to see if they can assist in troubleshooting the issue.

Regards,

Scott S.