Mac OS X Catalina install problems

Highlighted

Mac OS X Catalina install problems

Hello. I have several teachers who are on Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina and they cannot install PowerTeacher Gradebook on their machines. Everytime we download the dmg (this is v2.8 btw) we get a message that says "Error copying to /Users/someone/Applications, possibly due to insufficient permissions". This is the Users own home folder so they do indeed have permission to install into it. Any ideas? Thank You.

24 Replies
Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Re: Mac OS X Catalina install problems

Hey @catesr!

We have received a few other reports about the issue you are facing of PowerTeacher Gradebook not launching on Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina. Various issues may require the GradeBook app to be uninstalled and reinstalled on a users local machine. The PowerTeacher GradeBook is based on JAVA, so installing the latest version of JAVA then PowerTeacher Gradebook might work.

All grade aspects of the PowerTeacher App is currently built into PowerTeacher Pro which is designed to work with mobile web pages. Teachers can still take attendance on mobile devices. Once they have logged in the "Teacher Sign In" page, they should select "Attendance"  then pick the section they need to take attendance in.

AbrittyB

PowerSchool Community Moderator

Please give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

Highlighted

Hello,

I tried installing the latest Java but it is still not downloading. Is there any other way?

Highlighted
Senior

Hey @asbuan

I am sorry you are still unable to install PowerTeacher Gradebook on their machines. I recommend enabling the Javascript on your internet browser and then installing Gradebook.

If your internet browser is Google Chrome, you can follow the steps below to enable JavaScript on Google Chrome: 

1. On the web browser menu click on the "Customize and control Google Chrome" and select "Settings".
  2. In the "Settings" section click on the "Show advanced settings..."
  3. Under the "Privacy" click on the "Content settings...".
  4. When the dialog window opens, look for the "JavaScript" section and select "Allow all sites to run JavaScript (recommended)".
  5. Click on the "OK" button to close it.
  6. Close the "Settings" tab.
  7. Click on the "Reload this page" button of the web browser to refresh the page.

If you are using other internet browsers, I have provided a link here that should help walk you through the process of enabling JavaScript on them. 

Elston S.
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

Highlighted

Did you ever get this fixed? I am currently having the exact same problem.

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @masoncardon,

Thank you for reaching out to us in the Community! 

I recommend going through the steps we have provided in the thread.  It can also be shown as a result of the security settings on a particular system.  This article contains steps for entering a command in Terminal on the Mac.

Please let us know if you are still facing the issue when you are installing PowerTeacher Gradebook on  Mac OS X 10.15 Catalina.

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert
If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
Recruit

I am unable to install on my MacBook Air, running Catalina. The message I receive is: 

“Double Click to Install” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Please advise me how to proceed. 

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hello @AndreaMorrissey,

Welcome to PowerSchool Community!

I am sorry that you are receiving the error. The following workaround could be followed in such a case.

1.) Download the installer from the PowerTeacher portal, right-click on the screen that says "Double click to install" and select "Show Package Contents".

2.) Then navigate Contacts > MacOS > Droplet
3.) Run the Droplet script and you should see a message that installation is almost complete instructing you to launch the Gradebook from the teacher portal.

4.) Go back to the teacher portal, select the Launch button, and open the downloaded file.

5.) When you get the error, click on the Apple symbol in the upper right corner of the screen and select System Preferences >Privacy and Security option.
6.) Acknowledge the malicious software warning and try to open the launch file again. The Privacy and Security window should now have an option to 'Open' the file and launch the Gradebook.

AbrittyB
Please give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

Highlighted
Padawan

I have followed your steps to install Gradebook on my Mac. Unfortunately, it still isn't working and this message appears.  

“Double Click to Install” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.

Below this message, it states: This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

What can I do now?

Thank you for your time and efforts

Highlighted
Community Support Expert
Community Support Expert

Hi @ggirouxshaw,

Thank you for posting in PowerSchool Community!

I am sorry to hear that you are still receiving the error message even after following the workarounds when trying to install Gradebook on your Mac.  I recommend reaching out to the Designated Support Contact within your district to request further assistance on this issue.

Reshma
PowerSchool Community Support Expert