Letter grades

Powerschool3040
Padawan

Letter grades

Hi,

Is there an option in PS to enter the grades in PowerSchool as Letters like A, B, C etc?

I could see only the score type options such as Percent, points,Letter (7-1), Collected only. And Letter (7-1) doesn't seem to work.

Thanks

9 Replies
DanM3
Elite

All of our teachers are required to enter letter grades for all assignments and assessments. In fact, when I do the training, I have the teachers set it as the default when they setup their categories.

Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 9.41.28 PM.png

Dan Morgan
Saint Mary's College High School - Berkeley, CA
PowerSchool Hosted - v 20.4.3 - 600 Students
PowerSchool User and Admin since 2000

Powerschool3040
Padawan

@DanM3  Thanks for your reply.

Could you please let me know how to set this up? I have only Letters (1-7) option in PowerTeacherPro

Powerschool3040
Padawan

Hi All,

Any suggestions?

DanM3
Elite

The school district needs a grade scale that contains letter grades and this scale must be tied to your course. Your school and/or district PowerSchool administrator should be able to help.

Dan Morgan

Powerschool3040
Padawan

@DanM3 , I tried creating an alpha grade scale, however the cut off and grade values seem to be numeric and I am not having an option to enter the grade value in letters.

Powerschool3040_0-1685678540166.png

Any suggestions?

DanM3
Elite

@Powerschool3040 That is correct, it must be a number for the behind the scenes calculations. When a teachers at our school enters a letter grade it is assigned the value the school has determined and is listed in our Student Parent Handbook.  We also suppress showing percentages as well. We use a traditional 100% scale but the lowest mark is an Incomplete which calculates to 49.9%. On our scale an F is 55%.We have adopted most of what Ken O'Connor has written about grading and learning.

Screen Shot 2023-06-02 at 9.14.47 AM.png

Dan Morgan

ncharles1
PowerSchool Champion
PowerSchool Champion

You must set up a grade scale with letter grades equaling a certain percentage. Then it will show as an option in your gradebook. 

Powerschool3040
Padawan

Thanks for your reply. I created a grade scale with letter grades and cutt off with numeric percentage values. However in the gradebook (PowerTeacher Pro), it does not let me enter the grade percent value in letters(even though I selected the letter grade scale for the student)
DanM3
Elite

Have you connected/applied the new grade scale to your class?

Dan Morgan