Is it possible to change the student email/login?

Highlighted
bghutt77
Trainee

Is it possible to change the student email/login?

Our school district started using Power School this year and they are trying to help my child. My son does not go by his legal name and we are trying to figure out if there is any way to change the student email/login, which currently uses the students' legal first and last names.
If we add a nickname for my son, will this change the email/login?
If not, is there any other way to change this field to the preferred name?
I'm currently working with the manager of our Office of Equity and our IT Dept to find a solution to this problem.
Any advice is welcome, thank you.
6 Replies
Community Moderator ering
Community Moderator

Re: Is it possible to change the student email/login?

Good Afternoon @bghutt77,

Thank you so much for posting in the Community.  You can change the student email/login information.  This information gets set up by the schools directly.  You can contact your school and work with them to get new login details/email set up. 

Thank you so much!

Erin G
PowerSchool Community Moderator
bghutt77
Trainee

Thanks Although as I stated in my post, I am already working with our school district and the IT Dept. They do not know how to do this, which is why I posted in this community and explained that in my post.

Would you be able to direct me towards getting instructions for our school district's IT Dept, so they will be able to make this change to my son's records?
Community Moderator waynero
Community Moderator

Hi bghutt77,

Within PowerSchool, in the students record, there is a link named "Student Email".

Once they select that link they'll be on a page named "Email Configuration" and they'll be able to modify your students email value.

Waynero

PowerSchool Community Admin

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you!

If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

bghutt77
Trainee

Thanks for this but they're now saying that the email will reset to my son's legal name every time the system syncs with the state system, which they are telling me happens on a near daily basis. I fell like they're giving me the run around.
bghutt77
Trainee

Thanks, but I have already working with the school, the school district, the Board of Education's Office of Equity, and the Board of Education's IT Department. It says so in my post.
Community Moderator MichelleB
Community Moderator

Hi @bghutt77

Thank you for following up with this post.  It does sound like you are working with the right groups to deal with this issue.  

Unfortunately, it is hard to see at this point if the primary challenge to update this information is one of technology or policy. If they have told you that syncing with the State's system will override any changes they make, it is possible that is how their system is configured and any changes in PowerSchool would be ineffective. And that configuaration could be based on any number of factors.  My advice to you is to recommend to the District IT staff if they feel they require further assistance with this issue to have a Technical Contact open a Support Case with PowerSchool to look into the details around their setup. There are too many variables for any suggestion beyond those from Erin and Wayne above, but an agent who can see the whole picture might have further recommendations. 

Michelle B
PowerSchool Community Moderator

Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If a suggestion solves your issue, please select Accept As Solution on the post so others can see the solution, too!