Decoding a standard grade

KristinK
Hobbyist

Decoding a standard grade

I need to show a standard grade that exceeds the character limit of the grade scale on a report card. For example: EXCEEDING. I created the grade scale using abbreviations (EX) but now need to display the full word on the report card. Can I use a decode or if statement to do that with a DAT code that pulls the standard grade?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Re: Decoding a standard grade

Hi @KristinK,

The Decode DAT would be a great option for converting a standard grade from the abbreviation to the full description of the grade in your object report! The flexibility of the Decode DAT code should allow you to use the DAT tag to pull the standard grade and compare the value in the grade to multiple expected values at the same time.

To provide you with an example, you could set your decode like this (be sure to replace the placeholder for the standard grade tag with the DAT that you are using to pull the grade):

^(decode;<standard grade DAT tag>;<abbreviation1>;<description1>;<abbreviation2>;<description2>...;<blank>)

Be sure to leave the "blank" option at the end with no output so if the grade is blank or an unexpected value, the output is left empty.

Scott S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
5 Replies
Community Moderator ScottS
Community Moderator

Hi @KristinK,

The Decode DAT would be a great option for converting a standard grade from the abbreviation to the full description of the grade in your object report! The flexibility of the Decode DAT code should allow you to use the DAT tag to pull the standard grade and compare the value in the grade to multiple expected values at the same time.

To provide you with an example, you could set your decode like this (be sure to replace the placeholder for the standard grade tag with the DAT that you are using to pull the grade):

^(decode;<standard grade DAT tag>;<abbreviation1>;<description1>;<abbreviation2>;<description2>...;<blank>)

Be sure to leave the "blank" option at the end with no output so if the grade is blank or an unexpected value, the output is left empty.

Scott S.
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Remember to give Kudos to suggestions that help you! If another user helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!
KristinK
Hobbyist

Thanks! I can't test it yet as I am waiting for children to be assigned to the class but I will definitely let you know if it works.

KristinK
Hobbyist

Hi again,

Using your example, I wrote this code: ^(decode;<*std.stored.transavg;NMENL.K.PL;T1>;<EN>;<Entering>;<EM>;<Emerging>;<TR>;<Transitioning>;<EX>;<Expanding>;<blank>) and I get a cross scripting error message. If I follow the directions, it will break the code. Any ideas?

KristinK
Hobbyist

Hi again,

I figured out I did not need the <> brackets. However, using this code:

^(decode;^(*std.stored.transavg;IPDCC.K.ELA.;T2);EN;Entering;EM;Emerging;TR;Transitioning;EX;Expanding;blank) I am getting "blank" as the print out even though the grade is EN. I know we are on the right track. Does this need to be and "If/then" statement?

KristinK
Hobbyist

We did get this code to work by taking out the word blank and adding a second semi-colon after the last description:

^(decode;^(*std.stored.transavg;IPDCC.K.ELA;T2);EN;Entering;EM;Emerging;TR;Transitioning;EX;Expanding;Smiley Wink