Charts within a rubric

Highlighted
Emmie1
Practitioner

Charts within a rubric

Is there a way to insert a chart within a rubric?  I have been working on a Mathematics rubric, which requires a "Look for" within it.  The "Look for" has a two column chart with 12 rows.  I attempted to insert the chart in the exemplar box.  This seemed to work but I am not sure what this would look like to the scorer and how this might affect the test overall.

I made several attempts to insert the chart in the rubric itself but when saving, there was an error message each time.  During the earlier attempts, I tried breaking up the chart within the rows and columns but still got the error message when saving.

If there is a way to add this, please give step by step directions.  Also, if it is okay to add it in the exemplar box, can you provide an example of what this will look like to the scorer?  Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Support Expert AbrittyB
Community Support Expert

Re: Charts within a rubric

Hey @Emmie1!

I apologize for the delay to respond. These are some excellent questions that I am happy to provide the answers to. I am providing the answers in the chronological order of the questions.

1.) Criterion name (row label) and Level of achievement name (column header) should not be longer than 255 characters. Using special characters will decrease that limit slightly.

2.) Using Math Editor symbols and formulas does not exceed the limit. The symbols and formulas get included within the 255 character limit.

3.) The "Insert Passage" option is used to incorporate an article or passage from an external source into the page. The text used in the external article would count towards the 255 character limit.

4.) There is no specific character limitation of the symbols and formulas created in Math Editor.

I hope this helps answer your question! 

AbrittyB
PowerSchool Community Moderator
Please give Kudos to suggestions that help you!
If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
KristenM3
Journeyman

I wish there was a preview option in the rubric itself, but once you add the rubric to an item, you can preview the item and see the rubric there.  If you don't like how it displays, you can always go back and update the rubric. You could also try creating the chart elsewhere and inserting an image in the exemplar.  I have had multiple successes with something similar.  Good luck!

Highlighted
Emmie1
Practitioner

I too wish there was a preview when creating rubrics like the preview of item interactions.  Thank you for responding to my post.

Highlighted
Community Support Expert

Hi @Emmie1,

Inserting a chart within the whole rubric should be done by adding the chart into the "Exemplar" section. However, the best way to add a chart within each criteria of the rubric would be to add it as an image through the "Add an Image" option. 

Currently, there is no preview option available on the page to edit the rubric. Previewing the rubric is possible by adding the rubric under "create an item" option and select it. I have submitted a feature request on your behalf to the Performance Matters support team to add an option to preview the rubric under the rubric editing page.

AbrittyB

If the answer helps solve your issue, please select Accept As Solution on their post so others can see the solution, too!

Highlighted
Emmie1
Practitioner

Hello AbrittyB.

Thank you for submitting the preview option and for your help.

I would like to share with you some things I have tried and ask you a few questions. 

Yesterday, I attempted to recreate the chart as a separate rubric leaving out the lines by listing the statements in one column and the reasons in the next column, since the "Look for" chart asked for Statements and Reasons.  The statements column required the use of the Math Editor in order to add the mathematical symbols.  This seemed to be working for me for when saving my work, no error message appeared.  However, the full information I created within the rubric did not appear when I created a sample Extended Text item including the instructions and rubric.  It eliminated everything I added to each column except the word Statements and the word Reasons in respective columns. 

1. Does this have anything to do with the "insert paragraph arrow" or the 255 character limit in the level of achievement columns?
  2. Would the Math Editor formulas used cause the column to exceed the limit?
  3. When is it appropriate to utilize the insert paragraph arrow?
  4. Is there a limit when using the Math Editor?

FYI, I have reviewed the help (?) button in Performance Matters to find additional tips when creating rubrics and to look for limitations to the process.  I truly appreciate your expertise in the matter.

Community Support Expert

Hey @Emmie1!

I apologize for the delay to respond. These are some excellent questions that I am happy to provide the answers to. I am providing the answers in the chronological order of the questions.

1.) Criterion name (row label) and Level of achievement name (column header) should not be longer than 255 characters. Using special characters will decrease that limit slightly.

2.) Using Math Editor symbols and formulas does not exceed the limit. The symbols and formulas get included within the 255 character limit.

3.) The "Insert Passage" option is used to incorporate an article or passage from an external source into the page. The text used in the external article would count towards the 255 character limit.

4.) There is no specific character limitation of the symbols and formulas created in Math Editor.

I hope this helps answer your question! 

AbrittyB

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Emmie1
Practitioner

Thank you.  This is so helpful.  I truly appreciate the listed answers to my questions.